Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Falklands War 1982

My Falklands War

Falkland War 1982
The Falkland Islands had been under British control since 1833, but Argentina had become increasingly anxious to acquire them. On 19 March 1982 a group of Argentine scrap metal merchants landed on South Georgia, and this was followed on 2 April by full invasion. The British government acted swiftly, assembling a task force consisting of 10, 000 troops and 44 warships. It was dispatched 8, 000 miles to the South Atlantic, using Ascension Island as a forward base.
British troops, under aerial attack, landed on the Falklands at San Carlos on 21 May. After fierce fighting the settlements at Darwin and Goose Green were retaken and on 14 June the Argentine garrisons surrendered. The war cost the lives of 236 British and 750 Argentine soldiers. It was the turning-point in the fortunes of the Thatcher Conservative government, but in Argentina, General Galtieri’s military junta fell from power a year later.


A wave skimming Sky Hawk about to deliver a direct hit on “Glasgow”.

Taken from the flight deck of HMS Brilliant.

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

This audio is on the day (May 12th) that we were attacked by four Sky Hawks. One managed to get through and drop his 1000lb bomb. It hit us on the starboard side, exiting port side. I am totally convinced that if it had gone off, I would not be hosting this web site now and possibly another Type 42 lost! The others being HMS Sheffield and HMS Coventry.
When we were bombed. During the playing of the tape* you will here a “thank you” to the skipper when he informs us that we are pulling away from the “gun line” to rejoin the rest of the Fleet. There was definitely a little twitching of the arse during this eventful time?
I went down to the Falklands as an atheist, I returned as a Christian, due to all the praying I done. “Andrex” also did it’s fair share to bring a little comfort?


Bomb exit

To solve the welding problem of repairs, as it was at the waterline, the solution was to heel the ship over ten degrees by shifting fuel around the tanks and to steer the ship around in circles.
despite continual leaks, damaged equipment, and loss of control to the main engine, “Glasgow” returned to her air defence station within three days of being hit and stayed there until a relief ship arrived. On our trip home the engines and propellers had to be controlled manually and constant repairs were carried out.

The Supply Department done it’s bit, besides keeping the departments stocked up and the lads fed and paid, which reminds me…..The South Atlantic extra pay allowance was £4 per day but the powers to be decided that during this conflict they would REDUCE it to £1 a day…bloody marvellous go to war and you get paid less!!!!!

Getting back to my drift, the Supply Officer certainly done his bit, spending a lot of the time during action stations fully booted and spurred on the flight deck, probably with his life jacket blown up and wearing his survival suit. Not once did he visit his lads, battened down a few decks below, to see how they were getting on. For this lack of care he was much appreciated by your one and only Nobby G……. He wasn’t a bad chap actually, his only downfall with me was adding cherries and cocktail sticks – for the Wardroom – to an emergency stores top up signal after a day of bombing. This added request was promptly removed by the skipper ,when I, the rat, pointed it out to him when he was about to sign the signal for release. Gee Gee, will you ever forgive me?
Here is a little bit of audio of the Supply Officers contribution to the war. He assists the fuelling of a Sea King in flight from our flight deck.

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The day we were bombed:
On the 12 May. a 42-22 combination of HMS Glasgow and Brilliant were now stationed off Stanley. HMS Glasgow shelled targets on the shore during the morning and eventually drew a strong response to the ship’s presence by the Argies ( Thankyou ……Admiral Woodward!)
No fewer than eight Skyhawk fighter-bombers were sent to attack the ships, the lead two pairs arriving just as the Sea Harrier Combat Air Patrol was in the process of handing over. The first four Skyhawks came in very low and fast, so the Sea Dart missiles did not acquire the targets until the range was too short for the missile systems.
HMS Brilliant fired its shorter ranged Sea Wolf missiles for the first time operationally, the first two missiles hit and destroyed the lead pair of Skyhawks. The third Skyhawk in the formation hit the debris of the first two in mid-air, causing it to crash as well. The forth Skyhawk released it’s 1000lb bomb, which hit the water, bounced, and shot over the top of Glasgows hangar!
The next wave of Skyhawks were acquired by the Sea Dart system but a malfunction occurred and again it did not fire.We opened up with our 4.5 gun, but after only eight rounds this decided to pack up as well. Brilliant was having her own problems, the Sea Wolf system on Brilliant failed to fire and all four of the attacking aircraft dropped their bombs.



Glasgow being attacked by Argentinian A4 with the bomb that hit us

Pic taken from HMS Brilliant

One bomb hit HMS Glasgow, but it passed straight through its engine room without hitting anything vital or exploding, so the damage was minimal. A third Argentine raid was detected, but by this time the Sea Harriers were back on station, and no attack developed.
The Skyhawk that had bombed Glasgow made the mistake of flying too close to Goose Green airfield on the way back to base, and was shot down by the anti-aircraft guns there, its pilot being killed.

My Action Station was down in the Naval Stores, a few decks down, securely battened down with little chance of escape. There is nothing worse than being at an Action Station where you can do absolutely nothing to participate in the action, only to sit there with your head up your arse waiting the inevitable! I am sure, that if the bomb that hit us had exploded, I would have known nothing about it, likewise a few of our good ‘ol engineers!
I was once a Gunner having changed branches to “Jack Dusty” in 1971, now that’s what I call “sods law”. On hindsight though, I doubt if my expertise as a six inch Gun loader, Bofor loader, Bofor Aimer, 20mm Oerlikon operator, or, as on my SDB (HMS Ickford) a “Rambo” Bren Gun man, would have been of any help in this age of missiles?



Nobby G taking a break between “Action Stations” with my anti flash, life jacket and survival suit, just in case!
The “monkey” on my shoulder is Pincher Martin RN Rtd! You hero!!!!!!!!
Note the lack of razor blades!


A few of the targeted “Argie” bombs did not explode in the earlier part of the campaign, due to, we are told, incorrect priming. When the BBC heard of this, they broadcast it to the world, so naturally, on hearing this the “Argies” corrected it. The broadcasting of this fact by this BIG MOUTHED Broadcasting Company, in my opinion, was the cause of deaths to many sailors and soldiers, later on in the conflict.
Luckily we had no BBC reporters aboard us, they obviously chose to be based within the moderately safe comfort of the Carriers, where they could send home reports for the BBC to broadcast and the “Argies” to assess.
I notice today that the BBC has not changed it’s tactics, still reporting things that could be helpful to terrorists! Quite recently informing us and them (terrorists) that they had got their bomb mixture wrong. Is there no stopping this unnecessary reporting? ” bugger me mate, that’s what we forgot, the two tablespoons of sugar”!
Many thanks to the lads on HMS Brilliant, who was riding “shotgun”, for downing the other attacking Sky Hawks on that day we were hit. If it wasn’t for their “Sea Wolf” missile system we may have met the same fate as the other two Type 42’s “Sheffield” and “Coventry”. Well done “Brilliant”…BRILLIANT!


HMS Brilliant rides “shot gun”

12 MAY 1982 – 14:00 hours:
Three formations of Argentine Aircraft arrive.  HMS Brilliant (Type 22 frigate) and  HMS Glasgow were attacked with bombs and 20MM Cannon, with near misses causing damage to the Glasgow. Air Force Grupo 5 lost 3 of 4 Skyhawks during the attack.

Flight Leader Primer Teniente Oscar Bustos (C-246) and Teniente Jorge Ibarlucea (C-208) were shot down by Seawolf Missles from HMS Brilliant, and Teniente Mario Nivoli (C-206) crashed into the sea evading a SAM. Only Teniente Alfreez Jorge Vazquez survived the mission and returned to base.

During the second wave of the attack, Argentine Air Force Grupo 5 A-4B Skyhawks again attacked  HMS Glasgow and HMS Brilliant. Capitan Zelaya, Primer Teniente Fausto Gavazzi and Primer Teniente Alfreez Dellepiane attack the Glasgow and Teniente Juan Arraras attacks the Brilliant. HMS Brilliant is not hit when Arraras 500 lb bombs skip over  Brilliant when they strike the water. Gavazzi dropped a bomb that struck Glasgow in the side at the water line. The bomb passed through Glasgow without exploding within the ship but left Glasgow with two large hull holes on the water line.

While egressing the area Gavazzi’s Skyhawk (C-248) was shot down by Argentine flak near Darwin, killing the pilot. The other returning aircraft experienced what was to be a common problem for returning Skyhawks in that their low level flying had caused salt spray to form a crust on the canopies causing difficult landing conditions.

Believing HMS Brilliant had been sunk, her name was painted below the canopy of C-239.

HMS Glasgow was the first ship to arrive in the “total exclusion zone” (May 1st) and the first ship to arrive back in the UK, (June 19th). Although damaged we did remain with the Fleet and released for the long slow haul home when our relief arrived on station. I believe it was HMS Exeter, who was promptly put on the “gun line”.
A lot of fuss was made of the departure of the “Carriers” from Pompey, little did the public know that a few ships and submarines had sailed from Gibraltar sometime earlier, for Ascension Island, where we were to wait until the rest of the Task Force caught up with us.
The ships happen to be in Gib for a “run ashore” after exercise “Spring Train”. The first we knew that someting was up was the total recall of all submariners, who were the first to head south. I think they polished of their pints before departing the bars in Engineer Lane!
Once the Task Force had stored up and generally organised itself we headed South.
On our way South, Admiral Woodward flew round the fleet giving his “pep” talk and asking if there were any questions. On Glasgow the question was put to him as to what we might be up against. To this he replied that the army was mostly conscripts and probably demoralised. The Navy probably wouldn’t put to sea and as for their Air Force, well ,they have a couple of missiles but mostly “iron bombs” not much threat there! NO NOT BLOODY MUCH, it was the “iron bombs” that nearly wiped us out. Why he should place a ship with one 4.5 inch gun a few miles off shore to do a bombardment, beats me.


So after leading us into war, sacrificing a few ships, together with a few more “cock ups” he returns to the UK and gets a Knighthood. He obviously played a lot of sport as well, or he wouldn’t have even been an Admiral!

I recently watched a program on TV concerning the war and Woodward was interviewed. One of his replies as to the losses, he said and I quote…”If they did’nt like it, they should’nt have joined”. This statement speaks for itself and shows what a total prat he was and is. Tell that Admiral, to families who lost a son/husband/father, due to some of YOUR cockups and incompetence. Sending in warships, to within a few miles off shore to do a bombardment with single 4.5 gun was a classic. At the same time saying that they were expendible. What were expendible the ships or the men, with you, probably both. Thank god we had some excellent skippers commanding these “expendible” ships and men, otherwise you would have had nothing left.
A knighthood! I think not. You should have been demoted and keel hauled!!!!!

With the help of the BBC and Admiral Woodward this war could have easily been lost.


I bet they weren’t smiling when it was on it’s way through?
Thanks to Pincher Martin for this pic, you hero!

Our Captain, Captain Hoddinott, can be said, was bloody great. Switched on, kept his cool and constantly kept us up to speed as to what was happening at all times. If he thought there was a possible attack coming in , then it was “Action Stations”. No hanging about to get a positive report.
On HMS Sheffields fateful day, we picked up the incoming raid. This was reported to Command who told us to “disregard, spurious”. We remained at Action Stations and again our radar picked up possible targets, again we were told to “disregard”. A few seconds later there was the sound of our “chaff” being launched, as we heeled over to starboard, arse end down, to get ourselves down wind. Shortly after this, poor old “Sheffield” was hit by an Exocet missile.

I am informed that on the fateful day, two Etendard’s were involved in the attack. One armed with Exocet. The one with Exocet remained at sea level at all times whilst the other, also coming in at sea level, would “pop” up to get a fix on the target ,then drop down again, to pass target details to the armed aircraft. Thus giving a false image to the fleets radar. Thankfully it didn’t fool our eagle eyed lads in “Glasgows” Ops Room. Well done you heros!


Launch of an Exocet

The radar-guided Exocet, a large missile that carried a 950-pound warhead, could be fired at nearly 25 NM. It would streak along just above the wave tops at almost Mach 1, and once it acquired its target, it was very difficult to shoot down. If it struck its target, the result was likely to be devastating.
It was an ideal standoff weapon, and its range allowed the strike aircraft to avoid closing with the enemy CAP (Combat Air Patrol).
The best defence against the Exocet was to create a strong radar return (by shooting large amounts of chaff [small metal strips] over the sea and away from the ships being attacked, on which the Exocet’s guidance system would detect and engage, missing the real target.

I think it was on the day that Sheffield was hit that we realised that this wasn’t a “turkey shoot”, this was the real thing. Happy smiling faces vanished and sadness appeared……..but moral could be felt throughout the ship, knowing we had a good skipper at the helm!

Fuelling on our way home

Fuelling astern from a civilian tanker on our way home

Like others, I lost a couple of mates during the conflict. I wonder today was it really worth it. Cos it bloody well was. We proved that we could kick arse at a distance of over 7000 miles to protect which which is rightfully ours and with no help from our so called allies. Hitler couldn’t do it at 20 miles, or whatever (Calais to Dover ).
If the Yanks want to know how to kick arse, then see us!

Well done all you “Falklands lads”
and RIP those we left behind.
Nearly thirty years later, you are remembered.

Nobby G. HMS Glasgow 1980-1982
RN 1957- 1984


“Nah! The Glasgow I commanded, definitely had two holes in the side”

Just a footnote from Nobby G……
When I arrived home I met an old mate of mine who was lucky enough to have missed the action “down south”. He said he had wished he had been down there. I promptly gave him a rollicking, telling him he should have contacted me, as he could have taken my place. I would have flown him down in my personal jet! Hero…not me, I joined the mob for the pension and to visit exotic ports and places, so here  I am, with just 18 month to go before I am due to retire, fighting the “Argies”.
I am sure the Government was trying to get out of paying my pension by sending me “south” to my doom.
Aged 41, I do believe I was one of the oldest of Glasgow’s ships company. I certainly felt it went I got home!
Would I do it again, I think not, but if I had to, it would have to be with Captain Hoddinott at the helm, and a real Admiral in charge and the BBC put off the air!

glasgow home comming

“Glasgow” arrives home.
Saturday 19th June 1982

Click…Admiral of the Fleet Sir John Fieldhouse visits us on our return



The following is from Lt Cdr John Saunders. DQHM Portsmouth:
“I was onboard HMS ANTRIM in 1982 and recall passing HMS GLASGOW when we were leaving Bomb Alley, the day after the main landings, having suffered damage from an unexploded 1,000lb Bomb.
You of course had already suffered the same fate and were being sent in to relieve us in Falkland Sound.
After the usual exchange of identities, a message from your Captain came across to us by flashing light which read: “Welcome to the Unexploded Bomb Club”.
Quick as a flash, our Captain responded by asking the Communicators to send back the response: “Thank you,……. but I did not apply to join!”

Thanks for that John…Typical British humour at it’s best, during a stressful time.

Pause for thought!……..
My first ship was HMS Leopard (brand new, 1st Commission, Type 41 Frigate) visited the Falklands on her in 1959. My last ship HMS Glasgow (brand new, Type 42 Destroyer) Battle of the Falklands 1982..  The real difference was that  the first time we visited  the Falklands and Argentina the second time the “Argies” visited us!
I must add though, that on my first visit the Argentinians made us most welcome and were very friendly. Nothing was too much for them and for that I thank them……

War is created by Governments and not the people.

Argentine Skyhawk Air Losses:

Argentine Air Force Skyhawk losses:
Grupo 4: 9 A-4C aircraft and 8 pilots

  • C-301: Capitan José Daniel Vazquez (KIA) 30 MAY 1982
  • C-303: Primer Teniente Jorge Ricardo Farias (KIA) 09 MAY 1982
  • C-304: Mayor Jorge Osvaldo Garcia (KIA) 25 MAY 1982
  • C-305: Primer Teniente Jorge Alberto Bono (KIA) 24 MAY 1982
  • C-309: Primer Teniente Néstor Edgardo Lopez (KIA) 21 MAY 1982
  • C-310: Capitan Omar Jesus Castillo (KIA) 30 MAy 1982
  • C-313: Primer Teniente Jorge Eduardo Casco (KIA) 09 May 1982
  • C-319: Teniente Lucero (Recovered) 25 MAY 1982
  • C-325: Capitan Daniel Fernando Manzotti (KIA) 21 MAY 1982

Grupo 5: 10 aircraft and 9 pilots

  • C-204: Capitan Danilo Rubén Bolzan (KIA) 08 JUN 1982
  • C-206: Primer Teniente Mario Victor Nivoli (KIA) 12 MAY 1982
  • C-208: Primer Teniente Jorge Rubén Ibarlucea (KIA) 12 MAY1982
  • C-215: Teniente Velasco (Recovered) 27 MAY 1982
  • C-226: Primer Teniente Juan José Arraras (KIA) 08 JUN 1982
  • C-228: Teniente Alfredo Jorge Alberto Vazquez (KIA) 08 JUN 1982
  • C-242: Capitan Luciano Gudagnini (KIA> 23 MAY 1982
  • C-244: Mayor Hugo Angel Palaver (KIA) 25 MAY 1982
  • C-246: Capitan Manuel Oscar Bustos (KIA) 12 MAY 1982
  • C-248: Capitan Fausto Gavazzi (KIA> 12 MAY 1982 (bombed HMS Glasgow)

Argentine Navy Skyhawk losses:
Third Escuadrilla: 3 aircraft and 2 pilots

  • 3-A-307 Capitan de Corbeta Philippi was recovered
  • 3-A-312 Teniente de Navio Jose Cesar Arca was recovered
  • 3-A-314 Teniente De Fragata Marquez KIA


If you wish to add your own comments regarding this article, please feel free to contact me I will publish all your comments and thoughts as I do realise everyone has the right to have his say.

Admiral Sir John Forster “Sandy” Woodward GBE, KCB (1 May 1932 – 4 August 2013)
Woodward was born on 1 May 1932, to a bank clerk. He was educated at Stubbington House School, preparatory school in Stubbington, Hampshire. He then went on to continue his education at the Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth, Devon.
Naval career
Having graduated from the Royal Naval College Dartmouth, Woodward joined the Royal Navy in 1946. He became a submariner in 1954. In 1960 he passed the Royal Navy’s rigorous Submarine Command Course known as The Perisher, and received his first command, the T Class submarine HMS Tireless. He then commanded HMS Grampus before becoming the second in command of the nuclear fleet submarine HMS Valiant. In 1967, he was promoted to Commander and became the Instructor (known as Teacher) of the The Perisher Course. He took command of HMS Warspite in December 1969. He was promoted to the rank of Captain in 1972. In 1974, he became Captain of Submarine Training and in 1976 he took command of HMS Sheffield.
He became Head of Naval Plans in the Ministry of Defence in 1978. In July 1981, he was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed as Flag Officer First Flotilla.

Argentine Dictator General Galtieri
GaltieriAfter only four months in office and with his popularity low, Galtieri’s forces invaded the lightly- defended British Falklands Islands in April,1982 and he declared the “Malvinas” a province of Argentina — as they had been according to Argentina from 1820 to 1833, before Britain re-gained control over them. Argentina with freshly-declared independence was claiming the islands by continuation of a Spanish claim. Britain, the United Nations, and many other countries around the world condemned the annexation (the US eventually joined the chorus after initially equivocating), yet in Argentina it was wildly popular.
The anti-junta demonstrations were replaced by patriotic demonstrations in support of Galtieri. In the morning of April 2, 1982, the first day of the invasion, a small group of people gathered in the historic Plaza de Mayo, across from the Casa Rosada, the government site. After a while Galtieri showed up on one of the balconies (not the same used by Perón but one located to the left of it) and raised his hands to cheer the small group of supporters. A few minutes later a siren was heard and many bystanders started to flee in panic, reminiscent of the tough repression that happened just a few days before in the same place, on March 30th.
Galtieri and many observers thought that, in the post World War II world, the armed forces of the United Kingdom no longer had the resources necessary to contest the invasion. However, after diplomatic pressure and negotiations led nowhere, the UK government, led by prime minister Margaret Thatcher, decided to re-take the islands and deployed naval task forces to do so. The Falklands War was over within two months. Superior training and technology, including some of the most advanced weapons systems to date, made up for the numerical and geographic advantages of Argentina.
Stanley was retaken by the British forces in June 1982 and within days General Galtieri was removed from power. He spent the next 18 months at a well-protected country retreat while democracy was restored to Argentina. Along with other members of the former junta, he was arrested in late 1983 and charged in a military court with human rights violations during the Dirty War, and with mismanagement of the Falklands war.
He was cleared of the civil rights charges in December 1985 but (together with the Air Force and Navy commanders-in-chief) found guilty of mishandling the war in May 1986 and sentenced to prison. All three appealed (this time in a civil court) while the prosecution appealed for heavier sentences.
In November 1988 the original sentences were confirmed and all three commanders were stripped of their rank. Galtieri served five years in prison before receiving President Carlos Menem’s pardon in 1991.
In July 2002 new civil charges were brought concerning the kidnapping and disappearance of 18 leftist sympathizers in the late 1970’s(while Galtieri was commander of the Second Army Corps), and the disappearance or death of three Spanish citizens at about the same time. Galtieri was placed under house-arrest. With his health declining, he was admitted to hospital in Buenos Aires to be treated for cancer of the pancreas, where he died of a heart attack at the age of 76.


Air Attack Video:


Edit This Post

23 Responses to Falklands War

  1. Geoff (head the bomb) Waddington

    November 12, 2009 at 8:25 pm (Edit)

    Nice one Nobby! give my regards to pincher, strangely I have recently promised Scouse Eaton (HMS Glasgow Association) that I will put my version of events into print, so stand by (mind you its taken 27 years to date so don’t hold your breath).
    Unfortunately the after engine room communications were knocked out at the time (dammed irresponsible I call it) so I missed some of this recording and of course my own transmissions could not be heard (perhaps for the good), hopefully I can fill in some of the gaps.

    Kind Regards


  2. Bill Oddy

    January 16, 2010 at 6:14 pm (Edit)

    Dear Nobby Thank you a” Brilliant” post I wish I had the prescence of mind to make recordings.
    Is there any chance of copies of the skyhawk attack and the picture of us off your starboard side to put on our website if you dont mind.
    Regards Bill

    12/05/82 (Grahams Diary)

    Well it was our turn again to go close inshore, we arrived there this morning and messed around for most of the morning. There was some helicopter activity Ashore they were probably lifting stores around. At about 17.00 we had four hostile fighter aircraft came from the direction of the islands carrying bombs. Glasgows weapon system went duff so we could not start taking them out at long range. Glasgow started firing her gun by this time the aircraft were at two miles both our trackers locked on to the planes. Two of them were taken out by our missile system and we believe another by Glasgow?s gun. The last plane turned away and headed West from where he had come not before releasing one bomb which bounced astern of Glasgow. A second raid came in about 20 minutes later consisting of three aircraft this time our system did not lock on, several bombs were dropped exploding near to us one bomb went right through Glasgow just above the waterline without going off, very lucky indeed no one was injured either only one person with shock. Another 42 bites the dust. These aircraft then also opened out to the West. Another air raid was expected but never turned up. We are returning to the main force, slowly as Glasgow has a small amount of damage to her engines. I was in the ops room when all this was happening actually seeing the radar contacts of the aircraft coming in. My whole body was tingling I hope this all ends soon, if we are going to invade lets get it over with. But I?ve got that deep down feeling that we will be down here for quite a time yet. Ships like this one with her weapon system will be the last to leave. The weather today has been pretty rough but that is the last of my worries still I don?t know what?s going to happen.

  3. John Dixon

    January 29, 2010 at 9:10 am (Edit)

    I along with “Bill Oddy” were the 2 Stokers in HMS Brilliant’s After Engine Room on that fatefull day when when HMS Glasgow got hit and we shot down the 2 Skyhawks,listening to those tapes brought a very nerve racking tingle down my spine some 28 years after the incident,I also wondered what type of day it was then?,sunny,cloudy,raining?….but thanks to that photo of the A4 attacking Glasgow I now know it was clear skies, and the A4 was coming out of the sun in a perfect attacking position….I’m so glad that I ran over the plates gripped Bill and we both jumped down in between the 2 Tyne Gas Turbines for cover…It was one hairy moment as it was for us all……It certainly brought back alot of memories…..John Dixon Ex MEM(M)1 D179286G

  4. Andy W

    February 9, 2010 at 8:23 am (Edit)

    Andy W says:
    Yes I remember it well, I was in midships damage control in the combined tech office hiding under a table until the moment we were hit. I went down into the after engine room to find daylight and bright green oggin’ flooding in, Pete Travis was down there between the gearboxes on the remote CPP position. He looked white as a sheet. I stayed down there for days with the chippy. Happy days.

  5. jorge

    May 2, 2010 at 11:10 am (Edit)

    hola soy de argentina deseo conectarme con algun veterano de guerra del 82
    estube en darwin fui herido en el ataque del 1 de mayo en el bombardeo de
    los harriers sobre linea de pucara en pista

    Translates to:
    Hi I’m from Argentina I want to connect to any veteran of 82 I was in
    Darwin I was wounded in the attack on May 1 in the bombing of harriers on
    line ramp pucara

  6. Maria Eugenia Ibarlucea

    May 6, 2010 at 4:42 am (Edit)

    Hi, im Jorge Ibarlucea’s doughter. i would like to contact to any veteran who participates on May 12. i relly want to know a little more about that special day. Thanks a lot.
    Maria Eugenia Ibarlucea.

  7. Juan Contreras

    June 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm (Edit)

    Hello, my name is Juan Contreras. I’m Argentine and I know a veteran who was on 12/May/1982 on the attack following Ibarlucea’s. If you don’t kow him I can help you contact.

    hola me llamo Juan Contreras. Soy argentino y conozco a un veterano que estuvo en el ataque posterior a tu padre. Pueo ayudarte a contactarlo.

  8. At Last

    November 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm (Edit)

    First time I’ve even thought about any of this sh*t in years, who has the bits of the prop that landed between the gearbox, and all you boy’s who were on S.S. training in Gib, how did it end up in the end. Glad the the S.A. onlly thought the engine room was screwed, f**k the AAMR and the bulkhead between in between & the f**k’n hole on the starboard side. Spud did you survive Station Road . Anybody knowing if Spud is he stll teaching or doing what he was a leader of Stocker’s(SS). Not his fault but he was and no doubt still a scosser

  9. Andy W

    December 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm (Edit)

    AT LAST, who are you?,

    The impeller from the British Made Bomb was found by Andy Williams ( me)and another stoker with a surname of.. can’t remember. We found it on the upper deck plates of the after engine room adjacent to the power turbine uptakes. It was silver and olive green with ‘Made in Great Britain’ written on it !! . We showed it to the DMEO (forget his name Andy with big ears) and he kept it. It was in about 3 pieces. Shame really as far as I’m concerned finders
    keepers, but you know what pigs are like. It’s probably on his desk now, he probably tells his dinner guests how he found it!
    Surreal really, we were eating Argentinian Beef and they were bombing us with British Bombs! You couldn’t make it up!
    Spud was a real good egg.

  10. Malcolm Smith

    December 15, 2010 at 10:15 am (Edit)


    Many thanks for this account. I was FDO of BRILLIANT when GLASGOW was hit. I wonder if it would be possible to have a larger copy of the photo of BRILLIANT “riding shotgun” and the one of GLASGOW arriving home?. Very Many thanks.

    Malcolm Smith

  11. robbyg

    December 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm (Edit)

    This is a post from Malcolm Smith. He was FDO of BRILLIANT when GLASGOW was hit.:
    It was an interesting day. I saw the first wave of 4 at about 3500 yards and they were very, very low. Difficult to judge their height but I suspect they were as low as 50ft and certainly lower than any FRADU Hunter simulating an attack at Portland.
    Seawolf was amazing. I could see the After Tracker and Launcher which swivelled towards them and then appeared to vibrate as the tracked the aircraft.

    We launched 2 missiles and it really looked as if they accidentally flew into the A4s and of course disappeared in balls of flame.
    I do vividly remember one of them pulling left, presumably to avoid what he thought was a missile coming towards him. Unfortunately (for him!) he touched the sea with his port wing and then just tumbled and broke into pieces with the final bit splashing about 100-200 yards off our port quarter.

    Number 4 in the wave was a real hero, pressed on with his attack and dropped a bomb which I am pretty sure passed over BRILLIANT.

    Obviously adrenalin levels and morale were both high when the second wave was reported. Again the tracker and launcher locked on and appeared to vibrate.

    The Flight Deck crew was waiting for the missile launch when suddenly both the launcher and tracker went fore and aft. Seconds later I saw a bomb splashing into the sea on our Starboard beam (oddly enough I can recall no aircraft noise) and I looked over my shoulder towards GLASGOW.

    I suspect my memory is playing tricks because I thought she was tucked in onto our port quarter no more than 500 yards away but from the photo on your website she looks much further away from us.
    I certainly only noticed the hole in her side when the Officer of the Watch called that she had been hit.

    As I say, fascinating day and the Argentinian pilots were both very good and very brave, particularly the second wave who would have known what had happened to the first.

  12. lee cartwright

    January 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm (Edit)

    Good accounts on here. A quick ‘heads up West’ to all you D88 lads – good to hear from you again. Proud to be a member of the ‘hole in the hull’ club!


    February 15, 2011 at 1:44 am (Edit)

    hi mate we just completed a seven monther down in the falklands, wasnt quite as interesting as when you were down there but its been fantastic reading your accounts of what happent and being on a 42 my self its a stark reminder of just how it all panned out and where so many thanks shippers and keep up the good work. yours aye ,babs

  14. taff martin

    March 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm (Edit)

    I remember the day we go hit as i was on the flight deck with rest of flight boys.
    Using small arms fire, LMG and SLR`s, Didn`t even know we were hit until later on when Captain started talking about it.
    thanks for the Memories.

  15. Mo Morris

    April 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm (Edit)

    Really a good memory jogger to read this.

    Last year I went to the Glasgow reunion organised by Scouse Eaton, good to have met up again with Scouse, Dog Tagg, Greg Barker, Wiggy Wignall, Dave Rafferty, Shucks, Scouse Gibson and several others. Glad to hear Bungy and Lee are still about, we did mention the possibility of a M.E. Dept reunion this summer, perhaps I should get my b*tt in gear and see if we can arrange it.

    Keep happy, Mo.

  16. Paul(Porky)Annison

    May 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm (Edit)

    In falklands for 25th Aniversary, just marked the 29th by listening to the bombing again.
    going in the loft tonight to look for my piece of bomb casing.yes i know i should have handed it in.wiggy if you’re out there have you still got you’re bit of bomb,bit of ship,bit of falklands.

  17. Jamie Hutchison

    June 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm (Edit)

    I remember going into HQ1 just after being hit and the chinese laundry man coming in complaining there was no f***king hot water.

  18. Nigel (bill) Barnicle

    September 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm (Edit)

    good account and the sound track is better than the one on utube, i also remember the chinese laundry man coming in complaining there was no f***king hot water. an the w.e. who wanted a shower we were still cutting shouring in the port passage. and pumping out into the bathroom he slid a log way on the oil on the deck. dirter when he came out.

  19. Bob

    September 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm (Edit)

    Nice comments and memories shipmates, good to see we all still got a sense of humour, after those hectic moments in 82.

  20. Chris Butler AB(M)

    June 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm (Edit)

    Went to see Red Tails at the flicks today, there’s a bit were the yank pilot attacks a German destroyer. I had a ‘moment’ there reliving in my head of the A4?s screaming in at us (both raids) and being almost frightened to death. But then I thought what a buzz that was, what an experience I’ll never have again. I truly lived (and almost died) that day.

    I’d love to contact any of the Argentinians that have contacted the site, time to bury the hatchet, methinks.

  21. Andrew Martin SR

    September 13, 2012 at 4:29 am (Edit)

    Very interesting to get a perspective from the Brilliant. I was the Port 20mm Loader with AB(R) Nobby Clark as the Aimer. We could hear all the action from the stb side as the A4s approached and waited for anything that might come overhead. I thought I was at the Battle of the Alamo! I held on as the ship lurched violently to stb but did not realize initially that we were manovering to avoid being hit by the wreckage of the 3rd A4. I went over briefly to the Stb GDP to hear what had happened. Freebs was mad because his SLR jammed with an A4 in his cross hairs. Woody commented on the explosions that it was like watching Star Wars the Movie. The WEO stood alone on the fo’c’sle in his white ovies looking up at the misfired Seadart and scratched his head in disbelief. When the 2nd raid closed in one A4 came almost directly over our heads closely followed by a 1000LB bomb. Nobby opened up with the 20mm and emptied the mag. I just hoped that a round would not hit the bomb! The XO poped his head out from the Bridge to ask if we were OK and if we engaged, we were glad to report that we got off 60 rounds! The lads came running over from the Stb GDP and peered over the side. “We were hit!” they shouted. We all leaned over to see lengths of twisted pipes and the ships side peeled back like a banana. Did we scream in terror? Nope we said “Oh cool, that will look great when we roll into Pompy!”

  22. Roman

    November 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm (Edit)

    Best writeup i have read thus far, I commend you on your article it is full of information that you just dont see anywhere, very well done.

  23. Gerald

    November 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm (Edit)

    Despite the morality of using violence to achieve personal or political aims, the fact remains that Countries exist because of wars fought against their neighbours or rivals. Independence is largely secured through the employment of armed forces and the willingness to fight if threatened, this alone prepares us all for such an eventuality.

    I commend you on your site it contains a lot of quality information and is well done.

3 Responses to Falklands War 1982

  1. Pingback: Final Farewell to HMS Glasgow | Royal Navy Memories

  2. WIggy

    May 12, 2014 at 00:41

    It’s the 12th tomorrow, always a day for reflection.Turned 18 on the 13th of may and 50 tomorrow.Lucky to get out of the MCR alive that day, along with many others. Geoff (Waddington) calmly informing us, covered head to toe in diesel that there were “two bloody holes down there”, will stay with me….as has that bit of bomb (cheers Porky).God bless

  3. Malcolm (Ras) Winch

    May 12, 2016 at 22:45

    I was reminded about this by Lee today, not that there are many Mays that pass without it being remembered. It all comes flooding back (sorry) I was part of the aft fire and repair party and when we were sent to search for damage I found Scouse Eaton looking a bit pale and the AAMR filling rapidly with a mixture of diesel and seawater. The port side adjacent to the AER bulkhead was distorted and split along with the port aux boiler diesel tank. We just poured foam into the bilge and the churning of the water by the ship movement and the shafts created a bubble bath. I told scouse to get a check up from the doc as he was very pale, and took over down there as the next call to action stations came over the tannoy.
    I was absolutely bricking it and hid behind a pump and had a bit of a prayer session.
    I would have loved to send a few photos in but some toad nicked my photos possibly someone from Truprint or a postie 🙁
    However I have a couple of pieces of the bomb that I salvaged from the AER bilge, a cut down 4.5″ shell that I also fitted a Falklands 50p into the primer hole. On our return later that year I went for a couple of jollies, first was with Spud and Scouse, I was there for the pig incident but bottled the land rover incident. The second time I went for a wander with Craig Boswell and we managed to get a few photos (not nicked) and some gizzits from the Argentinian army foxholes etc.
    I always feel a lot of remorse for Lt. Gavazzi`s family and hope that if you are raising a glass or several to those who are no longer with us and their families you can add him and his family too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.