Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Eight ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Glasgow after the Scottish city of Glasgow:
HMS Glasgow (1707) was a 20-gun sixth rate, previously the Scottish ship Royal Mary. She was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1707 and was sold in 1719.
HMS Glasgow (1745) was a 24-gun sixth rate launched in 1745 and sold in 1756.
HMS Glasgow (1757) was a 20-gun sixth rate She was launched in 1757 and took part in the American Revolutionary War. She is most famous for her encounter with the maiden voyage of the Continental Navy off Block Island on 6 April 1776. She later chased two large Continental frigates in the Caribbean before she was accidentally burned in 1779.
HMS Glasgow (1814) was a 40-gun fifth rate Endymion-class frigate launched in 1814 and broken up by 1829.
HMS Glasgow (1861) was a wooden screw frigate launched in 1861 and sold in 1884.The fifth ship of the name to serve in the Royal Navy.
She was launched at Portsmouth Dockyard on 28 March 1861. Despite ironclad ships being introduced in 1858 and effectively rendering wooden hulls obsolete.
Glasgow was built of wood to use up some of the extensive stocks of ship building timber then stored in Britain. Indeed the Glasgow would be one of the last Royal Navy Vessels to be made entirely from wood.
Her one and only foreign deployment was as flagship to the East Indies from 1871-5. From 24 May 1871 until her decommissioning she was commanded by Captain Theodore Morton Jones. During this time she was the flagship of Rear-Admiral James Cockburn and then of Arthur Cumming, following Cockburn’s death.
Glasgow was paid off on 20 July 1875 and sold for breaking up in December 1884. The Glasgow was used by Sultan Bargash of Zanzibar as the model for his royal yacht HHS Glasgow, Bargash having been impressed by the ship when it visited Zanzibar in 1873.
HMS Glasgow (1909) was a Town-class light cruiser launched in 1909 and sold in 1927. The sixth ship of that name, was launched on the Clyde at Govan in 1909.
On the outbreak of the First World War, she was operating off the coast of South America under Captain John Luce, and on 16 August 1914 she captured the German merchant ship SS Catherina.
In the South Atlantic on 1 November 1914, she saw action at the Battle of Coronel, when, together with the cruisers HMS Good Hope and HMS Monmouth, she engaged the German East Asia Cruiser Squadron, including the new cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. Having inflicted little damage on the enemy, Glasgow escaped with moderate damage considering that an estimated 600 shells were fired at her, although the other British cruisers were lost with all hands.
Next month, in the battle of the Falkland Islands, in company with the battlecruisers Invincible and Inflexible, the battle with Admiral Von Spee was resumed on more advantageous terms. The victory was convincing with HMS Glasgow helping sink Leipzig. Another German ship, Dresden, escaped this particular battle, only to be later found by the Glasgow and HMS Kent and forced to scuttle after a short battle near Mas a Tierra.
After the sinking a sailor from Glasgow noticed a pig swimming in the water and after nearly being drowned by the frightened pig, succeeded in rescuing him. The crew named him ‘Tirpitz’, and he served as the mascot of HMS Glasgow for a year and was then transferred to Whale Island Gunnery School, Portsmouth for the rest of his career.
Glasgow was assigned to operate in the Mediterranean in 1915, and in 1917 was reassigned to the 8th Light Cruiser Squadron in the Adriatic Sea. In early 1917, “Glasgow” accompanied HMS Amethyst in patrolling the Brazilian coast for German raiders, such as SMS Möwe.
After the war Glasgow served briefly as a stokers’ training ship before being paid off in 1922 and sold for scrapping on 29 April 1927 to Ward, of Morecambe.
Mount Glasgow in the Canadian Rockies in Alberta, Canada is named after this ship.
HMS Glasgow (C21) was a Town class light cruiser launched in 1936 and scrapped in 1958.