Widgetized Section

Royal Naval Detention Quarters

Royal Navy  Detention Quarters (Portsmouth) Full details of this facility can be found at bottom of this page.

RNDQ’s as seen by a naughty submariner!

Long ago and far away
While working for the Queen
I thought I`d have a spot of leave
So left my submarine.

The crushers came to get me
In the middle of the night
An as they caught me on the job
I didn`t have much fight.

They marched me off to Pompey
And put me in a cell
I asked them what was going on
but they wouldn’t tell

I’d just barely settled in
when I got the news
that I been charged and weighed off,
with 60 days D Q`s

Next morning bright and early
My kitbag on my back
I marched in through the gates of hell
There was no turning back.

First I met a nice GI
who showed me to my cell
I asked him where the toilets where
He said “just ring the bell”

All day long we rushed about
or sorted out our kit
The grub was bloody awful
But I was getting fit

Up at 6 each morning
Our routine seemed to be
PT first, then marching,
some marching, then PT

Then after that we had a task
There was no time to mope
We had to unpick lengths of hemp
And make it into rope,

With bacon on a Wednesday
That was our only meat.
And now and then tomatoes
Was a special treat.

Before you knew my time was up
And so they sent me home
But no kit fitted any more
I was all skin and bone

“Where you been” said her indoors
giving me a kiss.
“you`re looking bloody awful,
“Have you been on the piss”

RNDQ’s is now a Grade II listed Building:

Description: Royal Navy Detention Quarters (Building Number 2/44)
Grade: II
Date Listed: 13 August 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 476631Listing Text
SU 6300 ANCHOR GATE ROAD
(Southwest side)
HM Naval Base, Portsmouth
774-1/8/184 R.N Detention Quarters
(Building No. 2/44)
GV II
Military, then naval, prison. c1834; bomb-damaged c1940 with subsequent rebuilding. Red brick in Flemish bond; concealed roof. PLAN: axial plan of central full-height aisle with cells opening off. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement. 18 bays, the NE and 5 SW bays rebuilt after bomb damage. Small segmental-arched windows with small-paned glazing, projecting sills, and some with bars. Large air vents with stone lintels and sills and perforated covers. Second-floor band; eaves band below concrete-coped parapet; gabled ridge sky-light; conical roof vents. North-west side: at left .end, entrance- with metal grille formerly giving access to a small open court now an entrance porch. South-east side: at left end, basement door and window (further basement windows below present ground level). T o right, a single-storey ablutions block, reroofed and added to. Gable ends each have a louvred segmental- arched vent to the roof skylight; at south-west end a door with iron gate.
INTERIOR: two sets of iron stairs with octagonal newels up to cantilevered cast-iron galleries which run around 1st and 2nd floors, with 3 open wells on each floor and cross-braced balustrades (some balustrading and stairs renewed). Cells: some heavy nail-studded wooden doors survive; each has wooden shelf, hammock hooks, and floor and ceiling vent. Cell no. R4 retains old graffiti, including the date 1864 and the name of someone from HMS Warrior. HISTORY: a relatively intact example of an early C19 detention block. Maintenance records for the building go back to 1834.

53 Responses to Royal Naval Detention Quarters

1. peter wiffen

January 14, 2013 at 22:10

As a killick at chatham in the 50’s iwas several times was sent to collect prisoners from portsmouth after they had done their DQ’s They had not found it a lot of fun. Their hand cuffs stayed until i signed for them. I told them i would not cuff them if they gave me their word not to do a runner. I reminded them that if they did before long they would be back getting attention from “tiny” a well hated marine. none ever gave me any trouble because it was more than just a bit unpleasnt in there. what a pity our modern jails aren’t like it today!!!

2. Martin Bridges

August 29, 2013 at 00:13

I got 28 days in April 1970. Much of the cruelty has been well documented. At least the sadistic bastards who ran the place are now dying or already dead.

3. robbyg

August 29, 2013 at 23:02

If today’s prisons were run the same way as the Navy ran theirs in those days, I think the lags of today would think again about re offending. In the meantime as they are not…lets bring back hanging and the birch!

4. Dave Williams

November 2, 2013 at 14:37

I thoroughly agree with the above comments about todays prisons, I did 28 days in 1967. This country as gone soft, I have seen programs about boot camps that are like five star resorts compared to we went through. But I will say one thing, it was a period of my life when I was the fittest I have ever been.

5. peter wiffen

November 4, 2013 at 12:31

am glad that I am not the only one on the planet who thinks that if prisons were a bit more like Portsmouth DQ’s in the old days the inmates would not want to go back as most of them seem happy to do so now days. I would fit ring bolts to the wall of each cell then chain them to it this would kep them under control and stop them causing trouble.
    they should be fed on super market past its sell by date food that is curently thrown away!

6. Don Mazurick

December 28, 2013 at 21:20

In 1968 while serving on HMCS St Laurent, we had two guys in cells. One a senior kilk was the guard and a ABEM Christie was the kid doing 21 days. It was Christmas and at dinner time there was one piece of cherry pie left. Two guys wanted this piece of pie! It was decided whom ever did the most psh ups would get this prise piece of pie. Christie was the winner.
    Yes those were the days.

7. Paul Martin

January 18, 2014 at 13:37

Can anyone help in getting hold of a copy of a TV documentary done in RNDQ’s back in 1968 – I was one of the stars in it but have not seen it and would like to get hold of a copy
    if anyone there can help i would be most grateful

Thanks and regards,

8. Ivor Rich

January 30, 2014 at 06:13

I worked as a sentry in Victory barracks recess in the 60’s for a while and regularly took blokes to DQ’s. Just hearing the voice of ‘Tiny’ the marine colour sergeant was enough to send shivers down your spine. He died on New Years Eve and everyone thought jack was celebrating the New year but it was the demise of Tiny that caused such celebration. I have seen blokes come out of DQ’s absolutely destroyed both physically as well as mentally. Some could take it in their stride but for most of them I came across they came out like whipped dogs. Don’t know if that was good or bad.

9. robbyg

February 22, 2014 at 11:14

My “room” was Benbow 45. Year 1961.
    The ground floor was “Anson” middle “Benbow” and top floor “Collingwood”

10. Rip Renshaw

March 28, 2014 at 20:54

I was in room anson53 in 1972 for 28days It was no picnic,but did sort me out for the future.If civvy nicks were even only a quarter as tough,crime would be halved over night.I am now in my sixties and never at any time since leaving deeks even thought about any sort of crime..It was hard,but taught a lot of hardened matelots the error of their ways..My instructor at hms st Vincent had retired and was working at d.qs at the time I was there,He took it as a personal faiure on his part,and treated me accordingly.So as you can imagine I had a great time (not)

11. Darby Allen

May 7, 2014 at 15:57

I served as an Instructor in RNDQs in the late 80s and early 90s. By then the objective had been changed from punishment to corrective and most lads benefitted from the disciplined procedure. incidentally the odd piece of picked hemp could still be found tucked away in strange places! I would add that most of their ‘crimes’ would not have warranted a smacked wrist in civvie street.

12. George Nicholls

May 9, 2014 at 11:06

Served as a sentry in the remand wing in the mid 80’s worst six months of my career, locking up a guy (could never pull the door shut on him) I served with in the Falklands in 82 that had gone AWOL. He got 28days and discharged. Used to give him extra fags when I could! Would have ended up in there with him if I’d caught!!! he was eventually diagnosed with PTSD a few years later. Most of the cheifs in there treated us as inmates and were real bastards at times some were good though Bill Price hard but fair, the jossman and csgt bean excellent pair…. night watch with them was always a laugh we could even eat our watch keepers vituals!!!!!

13. Hannah

May 14, 2014 at 22:32

Hi I’m currently studying at was what is now the Royal Marines school of music, am trying to find out the history of the building when it used to be the detention centre for the navy. Any websites that are of any use?! There seems to be no history on it at all on google and would love to know the background! Thanks

14. david dickinson. DEEKS.

June 10, 2014 at 15:13

The name of the documentary was “World in Action, Season 7, Episode 31. The title was, SAILORS JAIL” I`ve tried for years to get a copy, but so far no luck. I did 3 spells in cells at victory barracks and 3 spells in DQ`s,(hence the nickname) from 1965 onwards, had a total of 13 warrants, and they still wouldn`t let me go Ha! Ha! quietened down after that though. Someone Somewhere must have a copy.

15. Henry Hart

June 21, 2014 at 01:30

Did 28 in 1971 along with a young Marine cant remember his name, he got a harder time of it than us the screaming skull was PTI at the time boxing crazy he was right side of his head was a large indentation.As the above permanently hungry and fit as a butchers dog.

16. infidelgastro

July 19, 2014 at 19:51

The world in action prog. can be bought from ITV at a cost of £95.00. I’m waiting on a copy to be delivered. I think legally I could lend it out as long as I don’t copy it. 07743495683

17. Willie Watson

July 19, 2014 at 21:56

Did 90 days, in 58, for filling in Patrolmen, along with two other Field Gunners. Some say we should have got a medal. The physical side was no problem, we used to love the assault course. the food was in short supply though, I was always hungry, but got to really enjoy porridge, with no milk or sugar, just salt, prune or cold bean sandwiches. Sunday was a slayer, when after church, we marched round and round the parade ground, a yard apart, in single file for over an hour, whilst you could smell Sunday dinner being cooked, bacon and sausages, this was torture. I found Tiny a good laugh. If you did as you were told, and treat everything as a laugh, he was no problem. I had my birthday in there, and he called me to the front to show me my birthday cards, you were not allowed to take them to your cell. He said ‘B53, if we’d have known it was your birthday, we have baked you a cake, a great big one with nuts and raisins’. I would not have liked to go back there, but it did me no harm.

18. robbyg

July 23, 2014 at 11:41

In reply to Willie Watson. I recall the “excellent Sunday lunch”. If you had been a good boy during the past week you were allowed a drop of mustard to go with the banger. The great big chunks of freshly baked bread with a touch of margarine was also a delight. BUT the six days a week of the broth was to die for….found a bit of a whole potato in mine one day….oh joy.
    Sunday was library book change, you handed in your book and was given another, no choice. Baden Powells book on scouting was much read, this being what you got if you had not towed the line that week. That and the bible must have been the two most read books. I am now proficient in camping and hiking and can quote most of the scriptures!

19. Willie Watson

July 23, 2014 at 21:59

Another memory of Sunday dinner, was Tiny shouting ‘Anyone who doesn’t want syrup on his duff, raise your right hand’. I made the mistake of raising my right hand, just the once. The duff was a lump of tasteless suet pudding, like rubber. The only thing that made it edible, was the syrup. The library books were another form of ‘getting at you’. You were allowed one a week. It being your only pleasure, I used to ration it,to so much per night. But they would change the day that they collected them in. So many a time you had to take the same book out, to finish it.

20. Willie Watson

July 30, 2014 at 21:51

Henry Hart, mentioned a PTI who was a boxer. That could have been Killer Kennedy, who fits your description. He was a PTI when I was in there. One night, him and a big Chief Coxswain, gave a man in the next cell to me, a good hiding. He’d tried to be awkward and hadn’t conformed. Not a good idea. The Coxswain and the RPO were the only Instructors in there, that I didn’t like.

21. robbyg

August 1, 2014 at 16:03

I recall “Killer Kennedy” A small slight fella a PTI. He was a Navy boxing champion. He always seemed a little “Punch drunk” with a flattened nose. I thought he was a lovely fella, never heard a bad word from him, he was a gent!
    Does anyone recall the PO stoker who kept the boilers running in the boiler house next to the Galley. Another great bloke who gave you a ciggy to smoke in secret behind the boilers!

22. Willie Watson

August 25, 2014 at 21:56

I agree, with Killer Kennedy seeming like a nice bloke. As for his size, in my memory he was more like a middle weight. He was definitely involved with the Coxswain, in the beating up, in the next cell to me. The lad called out both Killer, and the Coxswain’s name.
    I don’t remember the PO Stoker, but I had a similar favour. When I became a ‘Stage Man’ after my first 30 days. I was put to work, in the sail makers shop. The ‘Instructor’ in there was from Bradford. Me coming from Leeds we got on well. He used to put a cup of tea in the cupboard, then tell me to clean the cupboard where I could drink the tea unnoticed.

23. Ian Hurley

September 13, 2014 at 20:41

I got 48 days in 1983, anyone remember one of the warders nicknamed Screaming Skull

24. JIM STEPHENSON

October 11, 2014 at 02:55

I got 28 days in pompey DQs in July 1950. I was Collingwood 99 top
    floor, I remember Tiny and his bellowing voice. “STAND BEHIND YOUR DOORS
    READY TO JUMP OUT WITH YOUR DIET TINS GET READY “OUT” If I was a fraction of a second slow he would bellow still sleeping collingwood 35
    Then breakfast taken back to your cell. Porridge no sugar cocoe { kia
    Then round the obsticle course with a rifle that was weighted all morning.
    when we were allowed to stop the repeaters who had more than one visit they
    wore white belts would keep running.. Lunch at midday was watery soup
    with a small potato
    After lunch more of the same. 4.30 pm we were given a blue liner thats a
    duty free cicerette Then my favorite meal ofthe day Bread cheese and strong
    sweet tea. WE were given our task wich had to be finished before 6am in the morning mine was picking apart a length of hemp rope and braiding it into a rope. Any infraction such as talking to anyone was another day added to yuur sentence. When my time was up I was so fit I could have run back to plymouth where I rejoined HMS HOWE. from then on I never screwed up

25. Willie Watson

October 20, 2014 at 21:46

Bath and dhobi day, was a laugh. We would all be sent to our cells, to strip off, put your gear in your bucket, towel round your waist, and double bare foot, to the laundry room. There’d be huge vats of hot water, which you scooped a bucket full out, washed your gear with a lump of pussers hard, throw the water over your head. Then you’d get another bucket full, rinse and wring out your gear, pour the water over your head and soap your self down. Then one more bucket to rinse yourself, leave your gear near the drying room and double back to your cell. Dry and put your clean gear on and await the order ‘Up behind your doors’. The laundry Chief, was a bit of a comedian. he also used to read out the Sunday paper headlines, as we were gathered in front of a dais, on Anson deck.
    One Sunday he read out ‘Dianna Dors, has lost her diamond’ ‘I think she lost that f**ing years ago’.

26. Big Mollie

October 29, 2014 at 12:05

Did 28 days in 1958 as a 17 year old in Benbow 40. It was a shock I needed. Remember shaving dust from a brick to mix with Pussers hard and water into a paste to polish your plate, bucket etc. If your plate wasn’t shining you never got your blue liner. Lining your toilet bucket with toilet paper so you didn’t mark it and you didn’t have to polish it.
    Running round the parade ground with your rifle above your head while some other poor soul on the opposite side of the parade ground did the same, only to be told when you were on the point of exhaustion that the first one to catch the other could come back into the drill class.
    Plaiting your ‘task’ on a nail (double task on a Sunday). These were measured on a morning in case someone had managed to ditch some.
    Not being allowed to talk to anyone or even look at someone else.
    Shown a padded cell on Anson corridor opposite the office.
    One other inmate who wore plimsoles and was excused drill and PT and left the same day as me. Tiny asked him if his feet were better and when he said ‘Yes’ Tiny got him to run round the parade ground which he did like a greyhound. The only time I saw Tiny laugh.

27. Tom Coyle

November 21, 2014 at 21:36

Did 28 days In 1966. Got out just in time to watch the World Cup.

Infideigastro did you get a copy of Sailors Jail ?

28. Ray Savill...

November 28, 2014 at 18:53

I did sixty days,in 1958, from H.M.S.OWEN, I had little trouble with Tiny, doubling every where, cleaning galvanised piss pot, wash basin, bucket etc, with brick dust, binding rope, so much each night, where the most memorable activities, two fags a day, dog-ends disposed of in can of water, collecting the dog-ends was a treat I seem to remember, I think Kennedy tried to hit me, he missed and I was too fit.I had an exciting oppotunity some years ago, when visiting the R.N. Museum, I just wandered around the Dockyard, I came across the D.Q, Building they were changing it for the Royal Marine Band, so I just strolled in and went and stood in my old cell…That was a remarkable experience, I then continued my walk through Nelson and freedom, not challanged once. Wow…

29. Willie Watson

December 25, 2014 at 10:17

Big Mollie and Ray Savill, That’s three of us who were in Tiny’s mansion, in 58. I wonder if we were in there at the same time. I was in from July-September. I wonder if any of our readers were in at Christmas. That would have been grim. Can you imagine Tiny, doing his Santa bit. They may have even put raisins, in the duff.
    Me and my mates used to enjoy the church service on Sunday morning. It was a Methodist padre, who took us. He was a great bloke. He played a foot pumped organ and used to sweat neaters.He said we were his favourite congregation, a captive audience. We used to sing our hearts out, it was a great relief, to exercise the vocals, having not being allowed to talk, or communicate.

30. Neil Fletcher

January 10, 2015 at 04:20

I did twenty eight days in 1961 for AWOL. I didn’t mind Tiny, at least I think he had a sense of humor. There was a little fat instructor that I remember. His build and his voice always reminded me of Billy Bunter. He used to really enjoy overseeing the Sunday morning run around. I had visions of meeting him outside one dark night.
    Anyway I decided that I’d sooner do six months in a civil jail than another stretch in DQs, and that’s what I did. 2 smash and grab jobs, 6 months in Dorchester ( I was stationed at Pool at the time) and I was a free man in 1962. I’ve been clean since.

31. Willie Watson

January 29, 2015 at 21:51

I don’t understand why my last message, has now got a heading, ‘Your comment is awaiting moderation’. is there something that I have to do. Please let me know.

32. Big Mollie

February 24, 2015 at 10:32

I was in Benbow 40 in May and June in 58 Willie, so I must have just missed you. The only lads I can remember were two from the Apollo and only because we were in cells together the night before going into D Qs, because of course we couldn’t speak once we were in. As Neil Fletcher said, that little fat colour sergeant disliked me with a vengeance and tried to give me a hard time. I don’t know why, I’m so nice. I had the same dream as you about him. Anyway another instructor was a bit embarrassed about it and I got picked for a couple of jobs in the boiler room where the PO Stoker gave you cigs and a cup of tea. He was a great boost to morale.

33. robbyg

February 24, 2015 at 13:27

I bet the two lads from HMS Apollo were something to do with the “Apollo Mutiny”? As for the PO Stoker in the boiler house, he was still there in 1961 as I also recall his kindness with a fag and a nice cuppa.

34. Big Mollie

February 24, 2015 at 22:36

Yes they were from the ‘mutiny’ although they had been in trouble after that ashore. They seemed to say that it was more or less a ‘sit down strike’ that had got out of hand.

35. Ned Kelly

February 27, 2015 at 18:10

I was one of the few tiffs that visited the hallowed halls in suite Collingwood 63 in 1971. There was a little consternation as I was a killick at the time and it enshrined in naval laws that tiffs cannot be disrated even as a PO! So my hook stayed on my arm during the 28 days. I remember Killer Kennedy and found no problem with him. I did suffer extra attendance as I was always referred to as ‘You, the one with the funny hat!’ which I did not have enough sense to not react to! It did not do an awful lot of good as the Andrew had already slared me to attend the PO’s leadership course at Royal Arthur shortly afterwards and being 20 and fit as a butcher’s dog after my visit to Portsmouth I did well on the course and got accelrated promotion to chiek at 23! So, I have another reason to say – Thank you, Deeks!
    PS I totally agree with al the comments about civvy prisons being run the same way!

36. Ray Savill...

March 3, 2015 at 04:06

Is there anyone who done time in Kinrara, Malaya…I did 60 days there, holiday camp compared with Pompy.played football most afternoons, there was several Kiwi’s army guys, great lads, an insect bite put me out of action for at least half my time, so I sat recovering watching the football.

37. Mark C. Ex PO Stoker

March 3, 2015 at 04:13

Amazing what you find on the internet, a community of Naval Criminals punished for heinous crimes committed against Queen and Country, locked up to repent for their sins. Examples being loss of ID card, followed by being adrift a couple of times culminating in accumulation, There you go Jack 28 days with Her Majesty’s Finest disciplinarians, LOL the Screaming Skull amongst others.
    I must have loved that place late 70’s and early 80’s along with a hook and badges. Still I must have been only half bad getting 48 each time instead of 90. Lol still managed my 22 and left as a Senior Rate. The place was a doddle.

38. john wheatley

March 3, 2015 at 06:08

Hi Guys Started working my ticket in1958
    Spent time in Pompey DQ`s late 1958, was given 42 days in HongKong for AWOL.My ship HMS Ceylon had left for the UK, They sent me to Singapore
    HMS Terror then By Troopship in the forward cells to . ( it certainly was Roll on Pompey) made more unpleasant by Pongo Jailers. on arrival in Portsmouth was escorted by Redcaps to Pompey DQ`s.
    I Remember the assault course we all had to negotiate every morning.especialy in winter when your gear finished up covered in mud which
    had to be cleaned imacculately before inspection before Breackfast if i remember correcly.
    Not being allowed to talk or smile at any body, only the sadistic jailers who seemed to get great satisfaction in seing young men suffer, i wonder if they got there just deserves later in their lives?
    You all know that saying ” Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves” I wonder why we were forced to make that four stranded rope out of old metre lengths of hemp hawser ropes that they threw into our cells in the evening .First you had to unpick the hemp hawser then start making the 4 stranded stuff platting it from a ring in the wall of the cell. in no time at all you would have enough rope to hang the whole crew.!! We also had to sow our cell no`s into our white tops mine was A3.
    On release i had a spot of leave and was drafted to Hms Tyne, went on the run
    for 12Months,returned to Hms Tyne was given 28Days and discharge spent
    14Days in cells on Tyne untill discharge warrant came through,then sent as a civilian young prisoner to winchester prison to do the rest of the 28days.
    I pettitioned the Home Secretary qeurying the fact that i was now a civilian
    in jail on a naval disaplinary charge. i never did hear back.was released 14 Days later a happy free man
    I loved the Sea and the Navy but hated he Bullshit and the hierache.
    Cheers Stokes. johnwheatley@iinet.net.au

39. John Longden

March 5, 2015 at 21:57

Anybody remember Tanglin Military Corrective Training Centre.

40. infidelgastro

March 9, 2015 at 16:16

Tom Coyle
    Yes I got a copy 07743495683
    The Sailors Jail….World in action.

41. David Wylie P/061491 M(e)1 1961-1971

April 12, 2015 at 17:19

Re Tanglin,
    I believe I was the first submariner to be in Tanglin M C T C. 1965 got 42 days for willful disobedience while serving on HM/SM Andrew, seems that I upset the “Jimmy”.
    He was one of thoes posh upper class twats believe he made it to flag rank, no surprise!
    Tangling was run by the army RMSC (Red Caps) they had a knack of spitting in your face while screaming at you as their eyeballs bulged at the same time with a silly little stick tucked under thier arm! Funny things you recall 50 years later.
    My cell and most others were infested with bed bugs and all your sailors kit had to be folded A4 size into a thing called a soldiers box about the size of a beer can box!
    I must admit the army food was edible, 2 fags per day after the first week and press ups, PT and marching, everything at the double I was extremely fit on release to HMS Terror and return to general service.
    Unfortunately some five years later shore based at HMS Neptune at Faslane I got 28 days in RNDQ Portsmouth for a similar offense, Tangling was a holiday camp compared to Pompy DQ’S while there World In Action film crew arrived, life got much better when they were around however back to shit when they left!! The day I was released I was asked if I would be interested in signing on for another 9 years in the RN LOL????

42. Robert Payne(whacker)

April 14, 2015 at 14:09

Can remember tiny reading the football results out on Sunday mornings. You were allowed to give a little cheer for one team only! I hope tiny and his fellow sadists are in a warm place.

43. Robert Payne(whacker)

April 14, 2015 at 14:13

Visited Victory last year enquired about “dockyard hotel” it’s now a practice room for the Bootneck band!

44. Nigel Jones

April 23, 2015 at 22:00

I spent two stints in DQs 28 days in 1970 and 90 days in 1972 when the made me SNLR and booted out into civvy street I did not want to go but they gave me no choice after a few years driving a lorry around the Uk I joined the Army and spent 21 years enjoying myself doing a job I loved!!!!!!!!

45. Brian Tyerman

April 24, 2015 at 07:33

Did two spells in DQs 1967 and 2000. I found the place so interesting, it was like stepping back in history and being in a monty python sketch. It was hard, but not as boring as being three months at sea out the gulf. The staff were hard but fair, the reasons that people were in there were funny, but none of them criminal. The PTI killer Kennedy, about 70 was a wonderful bloke, we would get him to tell us about when he was a junior seaman at the battle of Jutland in the first world war and how he had been navy boxing champion in the 1920s. He would have us on our knees scrubbing the gym,s concrete floor with buckets and cloths. He would tell us we had it easy. On the Iron Duke OD,s had to be down on their knees as if in prayer with a bible in each hand. These were the holystones called because they were the size of bibles. They would have to rub the teak decks freezing cold in the winter in the North sea. The ABs wou;ld have the hose and the killicks a rope with a turks head in the end called a starter to hit anybody that was loafing. He would then realize that we were loafing instead of working and give us press-ups. I could write a whole book about DQs. I din’t like it when I went in 2000. it had gone soft. we ate together, were allowed to speak and went to lectures about drugs etc. I preffered it when it was a hard punishment and you just got on with it.

46. John Cooke

July 3, 2015 at 08:28

I did 60 in Tanglin, 90 in Pompey & 42 in Colchester & outside – working my ticket – discharged SNLR in Oct ’69.
    Totally agree with earlier comments re Pompey. I came out of there thinking I don’t want anyone to have the privilege of taking away my freedom again – and MCTC’s were a walk in the park by comparison. I spent five days in solitary in Pompey – three on bread & water with no bed or bedding – just taking a wooden door-sized piece in at night to supposedly sleep on? The gaoler would give me 4 x slices of white bread & crack ‘here’s your bread sandwich!’
    Certainly civvy nicks should equate to punishment & why allow those who commit heinous barbaric crimes ‘human rights’ – surely they should forego their rights as part of their punishment?

47. John Garvey

July 8, 2015 at 15:24

I served in RNDQ in 1972 for 28 days for a assault spat with a certain leading rating when I was at HMS Cochrane. My memories of DQ’s are not actually so severe as some who have posted. Yes, there was the strict Naval regime and procedures. The drill and assault course was bordering on brutal. But the most brutal thing was the haircut!!! Basin cut! So for weeks and weeks after you left DQ’s to your new draft, everyone knew where you’d been! But actually, my memories are not all bad, because I remember having supper and watching TOTP or whatever, then having to go back to the cell about 8pm! I read David Copperfield when I was alone in my cell. I read it twice, and I think it got me through things reading about harder times than you were experiencing. These were Victorian prisons, built in the 18th century, but at least it was one man per cell! I look back now and see it as an experience, a voyage on the passage of life. It did shape me up though and strangely enough, I was promoted LSA (Ldg Stores Accountant)6 months later!! I’m coming up 64 now, but still wish I was back in the good old RN. Loved it!

48. Ed Watters

August 16, 2015 at 10:14

I spent 42 days in Pompy DQ’s for being AWOL whilst on 2nd Class for conduct. The Albion had just got back from the Far East in 1964, me and a mate saved our 1 days leave a month until the weekend and went off to London on the Saturday Needless to say we got pissed and missed the last train from Waterloo.
    DQ’s wasn’t that bad, but I remember the assault course in the mornings and the smell coming from what I think must have been Brickwoods brewery. My number was B49. I came out as fit as a butchers dog and went on leave.
    I had previously done 28 days in Stonecutters and later on got draughted to the minesweeper squadron in Hong Kong. Unfortunately I continued to get in the shit and did another 42 days in Stonecutters then a 90 day stretch and SNLR. I was escorted back to UK by a leading hand who had finished his time. He was supposed to have taken me to Victory barracks but wanted to get home to his family. I told him I would go straight there but buggered off home instead. Well it was a Sunday and landing at RAF Lynham my home was not far away.
    I eventually pitched up at Vicky barracks arond 1400 on the Monday. The joss man there told me I should have been there the day before and that I had not completed my discharge routine by 1600 I would spend the night in recess. I pinched a pussers red and rode at breakneck speed around the barracks and got everything done before ‘Secure” and walked out the gate a civvy. A great shame really as I really enjoyed being in the mob.

49. dave whitworth

November 1, 2015 at 11:37

Did 28days in 1964 anson 22 just got back from the far east after a year in hms hampshire didnt go home for xmas went to dqs instead happy days.dave whitworth.

50. Jumper Cross. P/J936595H

November 26, 2015 at 10:05

Well I think the stories that have been told are 100% true, my judgement day was in March 1957 I was an able seaman on HMS Murray out of Portland, and was dreading the Captain saying 90 days, as had a long list of defaults so was relieved when he said 28 days, as I was up for accumulation of minor offenceies plus AWOL for three weeks,
    I was on the top floor C90 got really pissed off one Sunday and put my fist through the little cell window, got patched up and spent 4 days in solentory confinement which were added on to my time, yes Sunday pudding had to have the syrup, the good thing it did fill you up, the thing I remember most is lining up to have your morning smoke, you had to smoke it quickly befor the tin with water in it came to you to butt it out, and some guys sec to faint due to inhaling to quickly, from age 15 to 21 was always in trouble, I think it was the discipline I hated, however like one of the stories I read, finished doing 20 years and a senior rate, and yes if jails today were like our. DQ they wouldn’t want to return, I joined Royal Navy at HMS St Vincent Blake 70 1954.
    C. Ya. Jumper. Cross